Monday 2 April 2012

Crafty Boots Nautical Challenge

Ahoy there!  This week's theme at Crafty Boots Challenges is 'Nautical'.  I have to admit, I had a bit of trouble deciding what to make for my design team card.  I don't tend to do a lot of nautical themed projects, but sometimes it is good to go outside my comfort zone.

Anyway, when I was trying to find inspiration looking through all my digi images etc., I thought I remembered seeing some nautical themed images and papers in a Forever Friends pack that I bought ages ago.  Sure enough, I found this cutie and decided to use him.


I was going for a 'scene' look, so I used a Spellbinder die to cut the wave layers and  I used a bit of coredinations paper for the shore.  I brayered the sun and the sky.  The sun was done with Mustard Seed Distress Ink and  the sky with Adirondack Stormy Sky and with a Big and Juicy.  Though the effect is very subtle, I also dabbed a bit of Versamark on the sky before brayering to try to get the look of whispy clouds.

The image itself is decoupaged.  The original image included a port hole, but as I wanted the bear and puppy to be outside I cut that off.  The sentiment is also from the Forever Friends set, and the backing layers for that are done with Spellbinder dies.

I was happy with the way the card turned out.  Now I just have to think of someone to give it to..lol.

I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:

Pile it on Challenge #14 - Create a Scene
CES Challenge # 79 - No Girls Allowed
Wishcraft - Waste Not Wednesdays (forgotten Forever Friends Decoupauge) - Week 13
Whimsy Stamps Inspiration Challenges - No Patterened Papers
The Pixie Cottage - Cute and Cuddly


I am so glad that I am a DT member at Crafty Boots Challenges (as well as at Just Inspirational Challenges) because it forces me to allow myself time to craft.  Sometimes we do things for others that we wouldn't do for ourselves because we don't have time or it would take too much effort.  Although it may take me a while to get started and to finish the cards for these challenges, I always feel a bit better about myself, and maybe even fulfilled. 

Ok, not sure where that ramble came from.  Guess I am going stir crazy being essentially home bound with my bad back and need to vent a little every now and then.  However the business of this post is sharing my creation and encouraging you all to join in with this fun Nautical challenge over at Crafty Boots.  Check out the rest of the DT projects if you need a bit of inspiration and link up your creations to join in!

Thanks for looking and feel free to leave a comment.  I love reading them!! 

Take care and happy crafting.
xx Denise

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous images great scene what a lovely card I love it , the colours are beautiful.
Hugs Elaine

Carole Z said...

Super card..really cute, love the waves! Carole Z X

FauxPainter - Dee Paramour said...

What a beautiful card and really well put together. Thank you so much for nominating me for the award, I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, but things have been so hectic lately I've had trouble even remembering what day it is. I hope you are well and have been enjoying the sunshine, much luv Dee.

Dee's Craft Room said...

Wow, I am blown away by your brayering, I wish I had the courage to try this. I love your cute card, who doesn't adore Forever Friends?, and your beach effect is so inventive.

Dionne x

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Such a fab card hun, love the adorable forever friends image and the waves look fab
Lindsay xx

Unknown said...

Oh i really loves this - its brill xx

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous! Love the background and the image is wonderful.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Gabrielle said...

I love your card - the sea was inspired! I enjoyed reading your ramble too - I thin k it was spot on! Much love x

Donna said...

Fantastic male card, perfect choice of image and such a sweet little scene :) Donna ♥ x

emma mitchell said...

I love your card , fab scene and such a cute image
Emma xx

Wishcraft said...

Aww I love the scene you've created, it's fab! Thanks for playing along with my WNW challenge this week :o) Lisa x

Davi said...

What a wonderful scene you have created with the sweet little cutie! Thanks for sharing with us at The Pixie Cottage.

Crafty and Green said...

ADORABLE!!! Thank you for playing with us at The Pixie Cottage!!

Many Blessings,
Tina

Victoria said...

Lovely combination of inking and decoupage! Thanks for visiting my blog! I said I'd try to join in JIC still to support you!

My Weight Loss Journey